Show Notes - BYR 37: Heavy Medal
- Sounds like “Edge of Seventeen” (wide-winged duck) by Stevie Nicks
- The Olympics! They happened!
- Olympic Amusements: Equestrian, archery, curling, skeleton
- “Eye of the Tiger” is from “Rocky III”
- JaR is Jay (Graydon) and Randy (Goodrum)
- This song is from 2008 (whaaaat?!)
- This is “Steely Dan meets Airplay and Pages”
- The new Steely Dan albums from the aughts (“Two Against Nature,” “Everything Must Go”)
- Maybe they were jealous after watching “Yacht Rock”
- Videos of Graydon and Goodrum talking about these songs
- Steely Dan was known for its “dark sarcasm”
Songs in the genre Heavy Medal inspire people to do great things. Your heart can yearn, but this yearning brings you accolades, not sex. The struggle you face is from within; be the best you can.
The songs make you focus on the goal at hand. There’s a fanfare of synthesizers, typically, that open the song to warm up the listener for the battle at hand. The meat? Hard-driving rhythms, a rough-and-ready guitar, and a vocalist who can hit the high registers. Lyrics are filled with metaphors: things are always on fire and people are on the edge.
The subtext: These songs are training the listener to appreciate Reaganism and individual responsibility, with the ultimate goal of heading out and taking down the anti-capitalist beast.
- “Another One Bites the Dust” by Queen was supposed to be the theme for “Rocky III”
- J.D. got blocked on Twitter by Frank Stallone
- “Stayin’ Alive” takin’ a five
- “I’m Bob Seger” shirts
- Nod to George Orwave (“Electronic Lover” by Ray Parker Jr.)
- From the movie “Mega Force” (directed by Hal Needham)
- Not released on the record label Megaforce
- Camaro Summer crossover (“Calling to You” by Ace Frehley)
- Co-written by Jonathan Cain of Journey
- “Megaforce” on Atari 2026
- Blue Angels flyover at a football game
- From the movie “Rocky IV” (he won the Cold War)
- The “Rocky IV” soundtrack is incredible (“Burning Heart” by Survivor)
- The movie “Creed”
- Cafferty, a member of the Bob Seger System
- Vince DiCola and Joe “Beans” Esposito
- The Misfits invented horror punk
- New Jersey is the third-largest producer of cranberries in America
- The “New Jersey Airport” is probably Newark Liberty International?
- “Jersey Boys” / “Jersey Girls”
- “Born to Run” is about getting out of New Jersey
- From Old Jersey: Andy Chatterley, Nerina Pallot, Gerard Le Feuvre (“Island Home”)
- Bumpers by @OCDefender
- Go to yachtrock.com and grab a t-shirt!
- The “I’m Bob Seger” t-shirt bonanza continues!
- Rhetoric Coffee! Get some beans!
- “Hollywood” Steve Huey: National Spelling Bee contestant (thanks @MikeNothnagel)
- From the movie “Over the Top”
- On the track: Eddie Van Halen … on bass
- Giorgio Moroder co-wrote this song (so did Tom Whitlock)
- “Danger Zone” by Kenny Loggins (also “Meet Me Half Way” by Kenny Loggins)
- From the movie “The Transformers: The Movie”
- Bush improved “Bloodsport” and “Kickboxer”
- Bush also improved the 1996 Summer Olympics (“Capture the Dream”)
- Album “Call to Action” by Stan Bush (similar album cover to Loggins’ “High Adventure”)
- Carmine Appice of Vanilla Fudge’s hair metal vanity project
- From the movie “Iron Eagle”
- Soundtrack: “One Vision” by Queen, “Hide the Rainbow” by Dio
- Video for “Iron Eagle”
- “Iron Eagle 2,” “Aces: Iron Eagle III”
- From the movie “Top Gun”
- The “Top Gun” soundtrack (uh, the Harold Faltermeyer theme is unbelievable)
- Faltermeyer wrote “Axel F” from the movie “Beverly Hills Cop”
- Before “The Flame” by Cheap Trick
- Cheap Trick wrote for the movie “Up the Creek”
- Yacht Rock video series
- Hosts: JD Ryznar (Twitter), “Hollywood” Steve Huey (Twitter), David Lyons (Twitter), Hunter Stair (Twitter)
- Yacht Rock on Twitter; Yacht Rock on Facebook; Beyond Yacht Rock on iTunes; Yacht Rock website
Archivist: Tim Malcolm (Twitter: @timothymalcolm)